Pet Friendly Pest Control
We are also pet lovers here at Joel's Pest Control. Keeping your pets safe is always a top priority with all our treatments we provide. We understand that they are part of the family too! We are happy to help keep those pesky bugs and fleas out of their territory. We're sure they'll be thankful you called us.
Are pest control chemicals harmful to pets?
Pesticides do contain traces of toxins; therefore, they can be toxic.
However, provided the service is performed in the safest manner possible, and following all the label directions regarding the application and materials, they are considered fairly safe.
Furthermore, the pesticides used for residential applications typically contain a less than 2% chemical composition; therefore, it does not pose any serious risks to pets or humans.
The amount of pesticide released from the applicator is also so small that it also decreases the chance of it being inhaled.
Not to mention, once the liquid dries on the surface, though still potent enough to kill insects, its effect becomes even more diminished to humans and pets.
What should I do with my pets during pest control?
In most cases, pets can remain in the home during the treatment; however, sometimes cats may become very curious with the new scent and want to explore it. Therefore, you will need to keep them away from any treated areas until they have completely dried, which can take up to 2 hours.
If you have a dog, it can be left outside during the treatment. However, if the dog is unfriendly or you are concerned with it misbehaving, you can tie it up, or you can leave it inside a room in the home or put it in the garage.
If you have fish for pets, their tank or bowl will need to be covered.
Will my dog or cat get sick from eating a poisoned rodent?
The most common type of rodent bait that exterminators use for rodent control is called diphacinone, which though harmful to rodents, has not been shown to cause harm to animals via secondary ingestion.
Instead, the majority of it is metabolized by the rodent, leaving behind only a small amount, which acts as more of a blood thinner, so it is harmless to secondary animals.
However, if you suspect that your dog or cat has consumed a poisoned rodent, be sure to consult your veterinarian for help.
Though most pest control services used today are considered very safe for homes, be sure to let the local exterminator know that you have pets, so they can employ the proper products and techniques to help ensure they remain safe. It is also a good time to ask the exterminator any questions you may have concerning what you can do on your behalf to also help keep your pet safe during pest control.
Therefore, if you have pests in your home, don't put off professional exterminator services for fear of harming your pets. Instead, contact us for pet friendly pest control near you to help rid you of your problem while also keeping your dog, cat, and more safe.
Many common household pests are also known to carry harmful bacteria, which can potentially make your family sick, so putting off pest control services can also increase your health risk.